So many people dream about setting up and running their own business but so few actually grab the bull by the horns and do it. Here are my Top 10 Motivational Quotes for New Businesses, they should keep you powering through when you’re having a down day!
I had thought about it for years, dragging myself along to various 9-5 jobs that I knew would never make me happy. Every time my boss at the time jetted off to somewhere exotic I was filled with envy and yes, even rage. It was so unfair that I was limited to 20 pesky days holiday a year, there I was, beavering away, earning him money to spend on cocktails at the swim up bar. Hmmmph.
2016 changed EVERYTHING! I had been side line hustling for a while (earning some extra cash with my online skills) but my husband said to me, why don’t we do it together, full time, start our own business, work and travel at the same time. OOOO MMMMMM GGGGGGG. YESSSSS!!!
So, since September last year we have been nurturing our baby www.yolk-marketing.co.uk. We have worked our butts off, sat up until 3.30am building our website, learnt about software and at the same time been managing our customers accounts. Yes, that’s right, we have customers. The best boost to any new business financially and emotionally is the first customer, and I can tell you that the 2nd customer feels pretty great too.
All this aside, I have had down days. Days where I am so tired from my regular day job that I come home and think ‘what’s the point’, or ‘I won’t make enough money’ – you know the dark thoughts we all get from time to time? Well please don’t act on them, I beg you. If you have a down moment, or a down day, just step away. Get some fresh air, go for a run or take the dog out, get some retail therapy, anything non work related. Remind yourself why you started this venture in the first place and reset your mind to the happy, positive and excitable thoughts and dreams you had when you started. It will be so worth it in the end.
Here are my top 10 motivational quotes for new businesses just like mine and yours. I found them on Pinterest, my go to tool for pretty pictures, recipes and ideas. Print them out, stick them on the wall or on the fridge and don’t let yourself be distracted by the devil on your shoulder. Always listen to the angel.
So here it goes……
- Stop dreaming, put any ideas that you conjure up down on paper, that is the first step to success. Having a plan in place will make it all the more real. Then STOP calling it a dream, this is your future, go and smash it!
2. So you’ve got your plan, now it’s time to start, it might seem like a big step but no one is going to take that step for you. Come up with a business name, plan your ideal customer, set up social media pages and get this show on the road.
3. I totally agree with this. You don’t need 40 hours a week to get your business going. Yes, it would be nice but the majority of us have to keep our existing jobs as they’re what pay the bills to start with. BUT a little bit of time every day can make such a difference. Get up an hour earlier, sit somewhere quiet at lunch where you can focus or cut down on TV and sofa time in the evenings to get things progressing. It amazed me how much I could get down in an hour when I first started, even if that was just writing a list of what needed to be done that day.
4. I have some very supportive people around me, but for each of them I probably know 100 more who think my idea of working with my husband and being able to travel at the same time is unacheiveable and unrealistic. Well, sorrrrrry, just because they like to follow the herd and live the life they are expected to live doesn’t mean I have to! More fool them I say. I will be sure to send them a postcard from everywhere I go, and I’ll be sure to send it to their work address to rub it in even more. HA! Don’t let anyone stop you from being who you want to be. We get one life so make it count, follow your
dream plan and show them what you’re made of.
5. Half way through my Top 10 Motivational Quotes for New Businesses and we find the perfectly positioned quote number 5. I say perfectly positioned because this is going to happen at some point, you’re going to realise that it isn’t easy. No one said it would be, but you knew that right? You’re just having a bad day. Running Yolk at the same time as working a full time job was not easy at all but it has been worth it. Plus, it’s only temporary, the 9-5 isn’t forever remember!
6. Yep. Totally. I find myself daydreaming a lot! I wish I had started Yolk 18 months ago, just imagine where I would be now. All those evenings spent in front of the TV or weekends just lazing around could have been put to so much better use. I can’t turn back time, I just know that I am giving it 100% and what will be will be. Use your time productively and launch yourself into business stardom.
7. How many times did I fall when I started Yolk? Quite a few. I pitched for business that I didn’t get, I mucked up a meta tag on my website, I even spent money on things I didn’t need. Who cares though, I have become a stronger business woman because of these obstacles and I know a hell of a lot more than I did this time last year. I know that I will fall again but I will embrace it and learn from it.
8. I prefer not to ask for help. I have been that way forever but as I’ve got older, especially since Yolk launched I know when to ask for it. Whether it’s asking my husband the code for a web command, or whether it is paying someone else to carry out a technical task for me it doesn’t matter. By asking for help I can use my time more wisely, by either doing something else whilst the task is being done for me, or by learning how to do it and taking that knowledge forward with me. We help so many businesses, of all shapes and sizes with their social media accounts and social media competitions. They prefer to use us as they don’t have the time or sometimes the inclination to do it themselves. We are part of a long chain of helpers!
9. You can be that man (or woman) on top of that mountain, and do you know what, the view will be flippin amazing because you got there by your own hard work and determination. Whilst standing at the top you can cast your mind back to the blood, sweat and tears lost in the process, the times where you wanted to quit or not even start in the first place! But you will know that you have achieved what you wanted to achieve all along. I’ll see you at the top!
10. This is what keeps me going, every day. Don’t get me wrong, difficult roads don’t rear their ugly head often but when they do I fight through them knowing that it won’t be long until I am people watching from a cafe in Rome whilst managing a Yolk customers account. Or I have just got out of the sea in the Maldives, I do an hours work for a client before heading off to dinner. The opportunities and destinations are endless. Yolk was created for a reason and that was to see as many beautiful destinations as possible, a difficult road is never going to stop me so it should never stop you either.
Do you have any quotes that I could add to my Top 10 Motivational Quotes for New Businesses? I can easily change the number from 10 to 10000!
Hopefully I have inspired you to keep powering on, to turn that dream into a reality. I’d love to hear from you and what you do. Don’t forget, if you ever need any help with social media management or social media competitions then get in touch, I’d love to help.